cook tandoori chicken-A step-by-step guide
Make tandoori chicken and enjoy cooking it at home with this simple and easy recipe Ordering tandoori chicken at a restaurant is a great choice but home cooking can be healthier and more fun.
Tandoori chicken is an Indian chicken recipe with a distinctive seasoning blend. Tandoor or tanner is a clay oven used for cooking and baking. It is known in countries other than India. However, it is not necessary that you prepare this recipe in a tandoor.
How to cook tandoori chicken?
Here is the best and easiest homemade tandoori chicken recipe.
- 8 skinless chicken thighs, legs, or breasts (legs are a perfect choice)
- 2 cups yogurt
- Some olive oil
- 1 lemon juiced
- 1 teaspoon garlic
- 1 teaspoon chili powder or paprika
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- Salt to taste
- Prepare the marinade in a large bowl. Add yogurt, garlic, ginger, chili powder, masala, cumin, olive oil, salt, and pepper and stir together. You can adjust the spices to match more to your liking.
- Make small deep cuts in the chicken pieces and add them to the marinade. This allows the marinade flavors to go deep into the chicken. Marinate the chicken and leave it for at least two hours in the refrigerator. If possible, leave it overnight before cooking. The longer it is marinated, the moister it will be.
- After that, the chicken pieces are ready to get cooked. They can either be grilled or roasted in the oven. Get them out of the refrigerator and leave them for 30 minutes to get them to room temperature before cooking.
To roast them in the oven, pre-heat the oven at 400 degrees. Remove the chicken pieces from the marinade and place them on a wire rack with a baking sheet below. After 20 minutes, turn the chicken over and bake the other side for another 20 minutes. Do not forget to brush the chicken with oil every few minutes while baking.
To grill the chicken pieces, oil the grill or pan and heat it. Place them on it and cook for about 15 minutes or until they are ready on medium heat. Your meal is ready now. Make sure not to overcook the chicken to avoid a dry meal.
I guarantee a perfect meal if you follow the instructions.
What to serve with tandoori chicken
A variety of side dishes can be served with tandoori chicken. For example, you can make a mixed green salad dish, plain rice with some turmeric, roasted vegetables, or naan bread. Brown rice can be a healthier option if you like. Of course, lemon wedges are essential as well. Choose your favorite option and enjoy!
Is tandoori chicken a healthy recipe?
The answer is yes. It is recommended to eat this dish once a week. Chicken is rich in proteins and is gluten-free, so it is suitable for people who suffer from gluten intolerance or gluten sensitivity. The recipe is also rich in vitamins and nutrients as it contains yogurt and a lot of spices. Few carbohydrates are there in the dish which is something healthy.
Try this recipe and I am sure you will like it and it will become on your favorite homemade recipes list.